WHICH REFUND METHOD DO I USE?
The way in which you refund a registrant depends on the method of payment that the registrant used. First, you'll need to determine if the registrant paid "offline" or "online":
- ONLINE: a credit card payment submitted on Eventsquid, through your payment gateway [that has been linked to your Eventsquid Dashboard]
- OFFLINE: a non-credit card payment; or, a payment submitted via credit card that was taken off of Eventsquid
If the payment was taken online, you can submit a refund directly though the Eventsquid Dashboard with Stripe.
If you are using PayPal Express, PayPal Payflow, Authorize.net, you will need to do the following:
- Login to your payment processing account and issue the credit card refund
- Return to Eventsquid to account for the refund against the registrant's record
If your Payment Processor is Stripe, you can issue refunds (full or partial) directly through registrant details on your Event Dashboard. Our system will send the refund request to Stripe and adjust the accounting.
STRIPE & AUTHORIZE.NET REFUNDS
If you use Stripe or Authorize.net as your Payment Processor for your events, you can issue refunds through Eventsquid for any registration transaction that was completed through Eventsquid. In addition, if you issue a refund for an Eventsquid registration transaction directly through Stripe or Authorize.net, it will be reflected in Eventsquid when you return to the Dashboard.
In order to process refunds through Eventsquid, the administrative user must have proper permissions. All Super Admins will have the ability to issue refunds. For Standard Admins, the Super Admin must authorize the ability to issue refund.
- From your main Dashboard, click the MANAGE ORGANIZATION tab
- Click Authorized Users to see your list of admins
- To the right of the admin you want to adjust, click Permissions
- Check the box to the left of "Issue Refund" in order to give the admin the ability to issue refunds through Eventsquid
- Click the X in the upper right to close the permissions list
Issuing a Refund
With Stripe and Authorize.net, refunding a registrant is simple via the Eventsquid Dashboard:
- Access the Event Dashboard and click the name of your event
- Click the green Registered Attendees button, then search for the registrant
- Click the name of the registrant to open the details panel
- The REGISTRATION DETAILS tab will display the registrant's interactive invoice
- Next to eligible Stripe transactions towards the bottom, click the "Issue Refund" button
After clicking, you will see the total Amount Paid and any amount Already Refunded.
- Enter the amount to refund (only up to the amount paid) and click REFUND
- This will complete the actual refund and make the appropriate accounting entries
Back in the Registration Details tab, you will see that the refund was recorded at the bottom of the invoice.
MANUALLY REFUNDING THROUGH PAYPAL OR OTHER OFFLINE TRANSACTIONS
OTHER CREDIT CARDS
If you are using a payment processor with Eventsquid, other than Authorize.net and Stripe, you will first need to issue the refund directly from your payment processor account.
Then, make a manual accounting adjustment.
- Open your Registered Attendees list on your Event Dashboard
- Click the name of the registrant to open their Registration Details Panel
- Click the ADJUST ACCOUNT button at the top of the panel
- Select the RECORD A REFUND option and you can enter the amount
The system will reflect the refunded amount in the REFUNDS section at the bottom of the invoice. The refund is calculated in the system with the following methodology:
- The amount of the refund is subtracted from the Total Paid amount from the registrant
- Then, since the amount paid is reduced, the registrant technically has a balance
- To account for the balance, the overall Total Due is reduced
Here is an example:
- Registrant has one item for $100 and another item for $150; paid a $250
- Based on your business rules, you allow refunds and need to refund the $100 item
- Refund the $100 in your payment processor
|Total Amount Due||$250|
|Total Amount Paid||$250|
|New Balance||-$100 (New owed amount)|
|Price Reduction Amount||$100 (Negates new owed amount)|
|Adjusted Balance||$0 (Appropriate zero'd out balance)|
After a refund has been reflected within Eventsquid (either automatically via the Stripe refund utility or manually via the Accounting Adjustment utility), you can send your registrant a notice about the refund as well as a record of that new transaction.
RESEND CONFIRMATION EMAIL
After reflecting the refund, you may resend the registrant their receipt, using the the RESEND NOTICES button at the top of the registrant's details panel. Inside that confirmation email will be a link to view their invoice. Note that the invoice is live and up to date, meaning the registrant may also click the link to view their invoice that was sent in their original confirmation email.
Registrants can also login to their Eventsquid account to view their live, up-to-date invoice:
- Login to Eventsquid.com
- Click name in the upper right corner
- Select MY EVENTS from the dropdown menu
- Click the yellow DETAILS button next to the event name
- Invoice can be viewed here
Visit the Event Dashboard and open your Registered Attendees list for your event. Find the registrant and click their name. You will see the RESEND NOTICES button at the top (as explained above); however, you will also see a QUICK EMAIL tab on the left.
You can use this utility to quickly send a message to your registrant regarding the status of their refund.