Where are my attendees coming from?
You'd like better data and insight into where your registrations are being generated from. Perhaps you've setup a social media campaign and want to know which channel is the best. Or maybe you setup a referral program and are awarding your biggest recommenders.
In any event, you can customize your registration experience to best capture your referral data in a manner that is most helpful to you.
There are three key ways to capture referral data:
- REFERRAL MENU: use our built-in, customizable referral prompt at the end of registration
- CUSTOM PROMPT: create a custom prompt set that captures the referral information
- TRACKING LINK: customize your registration links to capture lead generation data
More than one of these could be used in concert.
REFERRAL MENU: You will see at the bottom of the FORM PROMPTS tab (in the form editor), an option to customize the Referral Prompt:
The Referral Prompt will is setup to include a few options by default; however, the menu can be completely customized to:
- Include all stock options
- Include mixture of stock options AND your custom options
- ONLY include your custom options
- HIDE the menu altogether (in which case some users will opt to create a custom prompt instead)
After clicking the CUSTOMIZE button, a menu will appear with options to modify the menu options:
- GENERAL SOURCES: At the very top, the GENERAL SOURCES box will allow you to type in a new label (click the ADD button and your new custom menu option will appear in the list below)
- DRAG & DROP: use the arrows on the left side of each menu option in the list to prioritize / order your menu options
- CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS: at the bottom, you have high-level controls over the display of the Referral Prompt within the registration form
- "Show General Sources" allows you to either show or hide the list of options above
- "Show Attendee List" will show/hide a list of all currently-registered attendees as referral options
- "Enable Other" will enable the attendee to select "other" as a referral option, then prompt them to manually type in their response
Custom Prompts allow you to create your own unique question sets. Typically, we recommend doing the following when creating a custom prompt set to capture referral data:
- Create a new prompt "how did you hear about us"
- Set the INPUT TYPE to "checkbox" so that the user can select multiple sources if needed
- Include an "Other" answer option within this question
Then, create a new custom prompt for follow-up IN THE SAME GROUP as the last prompt you created:
- Name this prompt "please explain!" or something to that effect
- Set the INPUT TYPE to "small text box"
- Then, create a conditional connection between the answer choice of "other" in the first prompt, so that when selected the follow-up question "please explain!" shows up
The links page in the Event Builder (just click the small chain link icon in the upper right corner of the builder to get there) also includes a simple user tracking mechanism. It allows you to append a referral code to your event registration links. When a link with a code is used by a registrant (and that registrant completes checkout), the referral code they used will appear in the Custom Report.
To see this data, head to your Event Dashboard. Click the Reporting icon (right next to the Event Builder icon, on the left side of your event). Now select Custom Reports at the very top of the reporting menu.
In the pick list on the left, you will see a field called Referral Site (under the Attendee Profile category of fields).