The ability to attach documents to your event website has been greatly enhanced. You now have the ability to:
- Add several different document types as well as video
- Control display of your resources on various components of your event website; desktop/laptop, mobile and within the Virtual Event Organizer (VEO)
- Control access to these resources based on registration for the event or for specific sessions/items within the event
- Connect sponsors to your on demand resources
You will find the extra flexibility, control and organization extremely useful whether your event is traditional in person or virtual.
Event Builder > Website > On Demand Resources
Your On Demand Resources can be organized by category (e.g., pre conference materials, sponsored content, etc) or left uncategorized. You can create your categories first by clicking + New Category or you can simply specify when you add your first resource.
You move resources in and out of categories, reorder resources, categories and resources within categories by simple drag and drop. The order you set here will be used consistently through other parts of your website.
Adding a Document
To add a document (e.g., PDF, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) to your event, click “Add Document”.
You can retrieve a document from your organization library or add a new one. If you add from your library, you will have a copy of that document associated with your event (it won’t be linked back to the organization document … that feature is coming soon).
When adding a document, it must have a name (document title) where category is optional. To add a category, simple start typing the category name and either select from the list or complete the name.
You can add the file by dragging it into the area or select it by clicking “Choose File”.
Once the file is there and has a name, you are set to add it. If you want to also save it to your organization library, check the box “Save to my document library” before clicking “Add”.
Adding a Video
You can add a link to a video (any video platform) or embed a video hosted on YouTube or Vimeo for use within the Virtual Event Organizer (VEO).
After clicking “Add Video”, you can select a video from your Organization Library or add a new one. Enter the name of the video resource in the “Video title” field. You have the option of adding an embedded video or a video link.
Embedded Video (for use only withing the Virtual Event Organizer).
When you choose to embed a video, the video will play right within the pages of your Virtual Event Organizer, keeping your attendee engaged within the platform. Enter the name of your video in the Video title field and optionally add/select your category.
If your video is hosted on YouTube, choose 11-Character YouTube ID and enter the ID for your video in the field YouTube ID.
You will find the YouTube ID for your video in the url or by clicking share. Copy the 11-character code to the right of the “/”
For Vimeo, choose Vimeo ID and enter the ID for your video in the field Vimeo ID.
The 8 or 9 digit Vimeo ID for your video can be found in the url or when clicking share. The code follows the “/”
Once the embed video has a name and the ID is entered you are set to add it. If you want to also save it to your organization library, check the box “Save to my document library” before clicking “Add”.
You can add a video link from any platform, including recorded sessions from web meeting services like Zoom and Microsoft teams. The video will open in a new browser tab or browser window (controlled by local browser settings). Video link resources can be used for any component of the site.
Enter the name for your video in the Video Title field and optionally add/select your category. After selecting Video Link, add the url to your video in the “Paste video link here” field.
If you want to also save it to your organization library, check the box “Save to my document library” before clicking “Add”.
Display and Access Settings for your Resources
Once your resource is added, click “Edit” to add a description of the resource and set access and display options.
Adding a description of the resource is highly recommended. It will give your attendees additional context and allows you to highlight the resource.
For each resource, you can leverage the display and access settings to give you the precise control you need. Below describes each set of controls and is followed by some examples.
Binding a resource to an agenda slot associates the resource with that agenda slot. You can associate a resource with one or more agenda slots.
The “Restrict access to” allows you to limit access only to Event Registrants or those registrants who have pre-registered for the associated agenda slot(s) described above. You can also leave the access to the resource unrestricted.
“Display on” allows you to control where the resource will be available to your attendees / event site visitors.
- Website. Select if you would like the resource to display on the event website 1) on the Documents tab and/or the 2) agenda tab when associated with an agenda slot.
Documents/On Demand Resources Tab
- Mobile. Select if you would like the resource to display on the event mobile website 1) on the Documents tab and/or the 2) agenda tab when associated with an agenda slot.
Documents/On Demand Resources
- Virtual Event Organizer. Select if you would like the resource to display on the Virtual Event Organizer 1) under the Resources tab and 2) on the session pages if associated with an agenda slot
Business rules and examples:
- The access settings take priority over all other settings. For example, if the access for the resource is set to “event registrants” only and set to display on the website, only event registrants will see the resource. Visters to the event website or registrants who are not signed in will NOT see the resource.
- In order to display a resource on the website or mobile, you will need to activate the “Documents [On Demand Resources]” tab. In the Event Builder, click on Website then click Content Activation on the left. Activate the Documents tab (you can change the name of the tab). Additionally, if you have a resource associated with an agenda slot, you will need to have the Agenda activated for it to display on the website or mobile agenda.
Binding resources to a Sponsor is especially powerful and covered in Sponsored Resources in the Virtual Event Organizer
Managing On Demand Resources
You can manage your On Demand Resources simply by clicking on edit next to any resource.
Resources (documents and video links) can also be shared via the Communication Center under Attachment Options. Note that access rules are NOT considered when you choose to include a resource in an email / text through the Communication center.
A special feature is available when managing a document resource. Clicking “replace” allows you to replace the file (of the same type) without changing the underlying link to the file. For example, if you upload a PDF and realize there is a typo in the document after, you can replace that file with a new one without having to completely delete the resource and add a new one. This is extremely helpful if the resource link was emailed.