THE SURVEY BUILDER
Access the Event Dashboard, then click the Survey Dashboard tab at the top. Click the EDIT button next to any existing survey. If you don't have any existing surveys, create a new one, then click the EDIT button. This will bring you into the survey editor.
The survey builder is divided into three panels:
- Draggable elements
- Your survey work area
- Configuration options for survey elements and the survey itself
Elements are questions, divider lines or heading/paragraph text. You can combine these elements in any way that you want. Our surveys work well on both desktop and mobile devices.
Begin designing your survey by dragging elements from the leftmost panel into your work area. You can also click the blue ADD SURVEY QUESTION in the center editing panel to add an element.
Using the section header, text paragraph and section divider elements at the bottom of the list, you can design a well-organized survey with proper instructions.
You can also click and drag the elements already within the center panel to reorganize them.
A survey question can be one of the following types:
- TEXT FIELD: thin box for freeform text input
- LONG TEXT FIELD: larger box for freeform text input
- CHECKBOX: allows multiple answer inputs
- RADIO BUTTONS: allows maximum of a single answer input
- DROP DOWN MENU: allows maximum of a single answer input
Non-question elements can be one of the following:
- TEXT PARAGRAPH: insert verbiage into your survey
- SECTION HEADER: add a strong title to the survey
- SECTION DIVIDER: create a thin border to visually break up your form
CONFIGURING YOUR QUESTIONS
After you add an element into your work area, the rightmost panel will display the options for that element. You can define the following attributes:
- The question
- All of the possible options the user can select
- The default condition of the element when the user enters the survey (you can default an answer to "yes" for example.
- Whether the question, itself, is mandatory (e.g. the user must answer it)
- Whether any answer will trigger a follow-up question
- A short label for the question (for use in graphs and grids)
- Any help text you think will clarify the question for respondents.
If you'd like to configure another element within the center panel, hover your mouse over the element and click the small gear icon in the bottom right corner. You can delete the element with the red "X" icon in the bottom right:
In the survey editor, click the SURVEY SETTINGS tab in the upper right corner. This will switch your view from element editor panel to the survey editor. From here, you can adjust a few survey-level settings:
- PUBLISHED STATUS: publishing your survey will NOT release, post or send your survey anywhere. In order to have the ability to send your survey via the Communication Center, you will need to set the survey to published
- SURVEY TITLE: edit the main title of your survey
- CONFIRMATION MESSAGE: customize the message that is displayed to registrants that successfully complete and submit the survey
- COPY/DELETE: you can duplicate and delete your survey using the buttons at the bottom of this panel
TEST YOUR SURVEY
You can preview a single question at a time with the QUICK LOOK button in the upper right corner. First, hover your cursor over one of your questions. Then, click the gear icon in the bottom right corner of your question.
Then, click the QUICK LOOK button in the upper right. A window will pop up with a preview of your question for testing.
If you preview a question that HAS a follow-up question attached, then the follow-up question WILL show up when previewing.
Click the FULL TEST button in the upper right to run through the live survey, which will result in the submission of data. Your results will be noted with a "Test Submission" badge. You can, of course, remove these results from the Survey Dashboard view, within the RESULTS section.