Use our drag and drop space design tool to create an interactive click-n-buy space map. When registrants select a registration item that is connected to your space map, they will be able to select a spot from your map and add it to their registration.
As an event, the interactive space map tool gives you incredible control over the spaces you offer. Use this tool for anything from golf hole sponsorships to exhibitor hall booth reservations. Let your registrants choose during registration or keep your map internal and use it as a team tool to keep track of who goes where.
The possibilities are truly endless (you knew we'd say that)....let's take a closer look.
CREATING AN INTERACTIVE SPACE MAP
There are 2 main steps in creating an interactive space map (we'll assume for the sake of this walkthrough that you intend to let registrants select spaces during registration, as opposed to using this as an internal tool).
- Create the map: click, resize, drag, label, position, mass update. It's all there.
- Connect to registration: link the finished map to one more several registration items (see here for more details on registration items) so that the map is accessible via registration
First, you will want to have one or more Registration Items that will be connected to your space map. For example, if you are offering an exhibitor booth, you will want to have a registration item "Booth Rental" or "Exhibitor Registration".
Second, determine where you will set the price for the space item with the following options:
- Set the price in the registration item. If all of your spaces will be the same price, and included in with the registration item, set the price in the registration item and not in the space management tool.
- Set the price in the space management tool. If your space prices vary by location or if the space is an add-on or extra with the registration item, set the price in the space management tool.
- Both. If a basic space is included with your registration, but certain spaces may be an "upgrade" (think airline seat selection), you can set the price in both.
- You are running a golf tournament and you offer a general sponsorship that includes signage at a hole and a separate hold sponsorship. Hole sponsorship is the same regardless of the actual hole. Set the price only in the registration items.
- You are having a gala and are selling table sponsorships. The base price for a table sponsorship is $1,000 but certain tables are $1,500. Set the price in the registration item to $1,000. In the space management tool, set the price for the special tables to $500; set all other tables to $0. For the sponsor picking the extra fancy table, their checkout will include the $1,000 for the registration item and $500 for the table upgrade.
- You are hosting an outdoor event and the price of camping spot varies by location and type (RV, tent). Set your pricing in the space management tool.
CREATE & MANAGE SPACES
So you wanna learn mapmaking huh? First, hop into the Click N Buy Spaces tool - big the GIANT green Create & Manage Spaces button...you can't miss it. OK...now you're in. Time to create some squid-like beauty.
Squid cartography 101 - learn the 4 key pillars to our interactive space tool:
- Map Settings: click the Settings button to reveal multiple map editing options. Most of these will either manipulate the entire map's properties (i.e. the dimensions of the map for an uploaded background image), or will allow you to edit multiple space properties at the same time (i.e. re-label spaces 1-10). We'll review the settings panel in more depth below.
- The Deck & The Map: Click, drag, expand, re-label. Get up close and personal with all of your spaces. The deck is where unused spaces lie. Simply drag them off the deck and into the map (the wild) and the spaces will become green and active. Click the small triple-dot icon at the top of any space to edit its individual properties.
- Upload Background Image: Oftentimes, we see event hosts upload a background image to their space map. This provides the registrant with excellent context for all the spaces. Uploading an image also helps you, the event host, draw your map!
- Activate Map: When the map is ready to go, click to activate the map (IF you are connecting the map to a registration item and allowing registrants to make space selections during registration).
ADDITIONAL MAP-MAKING TIPS
- To drag MULTIPLE booths, hold the SHIFT key down while selecting the booths you wish to move
- Create widgets (like concession stands, restrooms, etc.) by typing in a name and clicking "New Widget"
- Drag the lower right corner of any booth or widget to change its size and shape (further change widget shape using the Options link inside the widget)
- Double-click a booth to return it to the deck. You can delete multiple spaces using the EDIT feature for the arena
- Double-click a widget to destroy it
- You may change the dimensions of the layout area by dragging the lower right corner of the dashed border
- You can create multiple maps for your event
Remember how we said earlier that we'd walk you through the settings panel? Told ya! Alrighty let's dig in. Go ahead and click that Settings button and behold a beautiful panel with clickable section headers...behold:
Let's run through each section's important toolset.
1) SETTINGS: MAP ATTRIBUTES SECTION
Use the map attributes section to alter the overall properties of your space map:
Adjust the dimensions, name and description of your map. The Total Spaces sub-tool will increase the total number of spaces available for use on the space map. Recall that The Deck holds all unused spaces.....if you drag all spaces off the deck and need more, just use this Total Spaces tool to increase that number.
2) SETTINGS: SPACE IDENTIFICATION
The Space Identification section of the settings tool will let you re-label one or multiple spaces at the same time. Take a look at these convenient controls below:
3) SETTINGS: BULK MODIFY SPACES
If you'd like to remove, copy, resize, copy or reshape multiple spaces (or one) at once, use the Bulk Modify Spaces tool in the settings panel.
To use the tool, enter the Internal ID (or given space ID, shown on the space in the little black box) for the spaces you intend to alter. As you can see above, the tool allows you to enter a range of spaces.
4) SETTINGS: SPACE MANIFEST CHANGES
The final section allows you to make bulk changes to the space details in the manifest (the table located below your space map... we'll walk through it more in depth).
You can duplicate the 3 key settings here, including additional booth specific pricing (this would be in addition to any item pricing you have already designated) and space notes (that would display to the registrant on the registration form when hovering over the space).
Once you have all of your spaces set, you can work with the grid below aka the Manifest. Take a look at the screenshot just below, each record in the space manifest will look like the ones below:
- Space Num: The space number is the front-facing ID that shows to registrants that selet the space. By default, the space number will be the same as the Space ID (the internal ID number our system tracks the space with), unless you give the space a custom ID number
- Space ID: The internal ID that our system uses to track the space
- Size: The dimensions, which grow and shrink according to how you size the space block in the builder
- Price: The price set for the specific space in the Click N Buy Spaces tool is separate from the price you give the registration item. You can may exclusively set pricing in the registration item, in the space tool or use both
- E.G. if you wanted to set a base price in the registration, then use the pricing column in the map tool to add premiums to specific booth locations
- Attendee / Exhibitor: Registered attendees/exhibitors will show in the dropdown. You can manually assign an attendee/exhibitor to any space if that person/company is already registered, using these dropdown menus
After creating your map, now it's time to bring it to your live registration experience (and event website). See below a screenshot of the map configuration options....there aren't too many!
The most important configuration setting is the "Which items display map selection button?" option. This allows you to connect the space map that you crafted to a registration item. On the form, once a registrant selects the registration item that's connected to the space map, a small button "Select Spaces" will appear on that item. The registrant may then click into your space map and select a specific space.
- The registrant gets a record of the space they picked in their invoice and confirmation email
- As the event host, you can also see in their registration details what that person selected
The Space Type Label option allows you to call your spaces something other than "Booth". You can re-label them as what you'd like, according to one of the options provided in the dropdown.
Choose the registrant type you would like to display the map too. NOTE: this should match who the registration item is offered to.
You can set whether the registrant MUST select a space with the corresponding registration item (after selecting it) or not.
You can also elect to display the space map on your event website or not (for display only). NOTE: your mobile app will also have a booth map search tab on it. Make sure you hop into the Website section of your Event Builder >> click into the Content Activation tool and verify you have the Booth Map tab activated.
If you want to limit the number of spaces a registrant can reserve/purchase, you do so within your registration item control.
Remember back to creating your items - you should have created an item dedicated to your different booth space types. During registration, these items can display the space map.
Within your item settings, set your space purchase limit and the map will automatically disallow registrants from exceeding that number of spaces. NOTE: If you are using an Enhanced Registration Item type, the limit will automatically be 1 since a registrant may not select more than 1 registration item.